Monday, March 15, 2010

Alcalá Week 9

What my half of the room usually looks like :/

Bah it's already been 2 months since I arrived in Spain! Nothing too noteworthy to write about this week, I got a cold (AGAIN) so I have been trying to recuperate. Lately I've been thinking about things I will/won't miss about Spain --

WILL:
  • chorizo and calimocho (sausauge-y type meat and wine/coke combo)
  • going to Nivola (the campus bar) on Wednesdays when it's Packed
  • grocery shopping at Mercadona- may seem odd, but there's no grocery store on the Madison campus! Plus I like picking out new food to try
  • Taking the bus 25 minutes to school every morning- I have to get up earlier, but I find it relaxing
  • Spaniards gratuitous use of 'joder', 'hostia' and other swears (as in every other word- no joke) also, 'hostia' literally means holy communion (like in Church)
  • 'tía/tío' which roughly translates to girl/dude but is used much more commonly here among friends. I think it is cute. Again, the literal translation gives you no sense of its use, cause these words mean aunt/uncle!
  • shopping! and how well Spaniards dress in general
  • my residencia! I like living fairly independently, surrounded by other students and with 6 other girls! There's always someone around :)
The majority of my roommates sitting around the tv, aka a typical day
From left- Sofia (who speaks Spanish, Portuguese and English and reads this blog-- Hi Sofia!), Miriam, Sandra, Ines, Sara

If only one of them had a cigarette in hand then my Spanish study abroad experience would truly be captured

WON'T:
  • no oven OR dishwasher in the kitchen
  • pop can sizes that are significantly smaller than America's (I'm always thirsty afterwards!)
  • non-existence of spices, food is so bland without A1 Sauce :(
  • reeking of cigarettes whenever I go out
I'm not sure if I will or won't miss "terribly dubbed movies"- the same 5 voice actors dub EVERY SINGLE ONE... but they are easy to understand since they talk slower and I usually already know the plot!
If I write a list of things I miss about America it will just turn into a grocery list for the day I return, so I'll spare you. (Oh, and I assume "family and friends" are a given- don't worry you guys rank above food-- maybe)

3 comments:

  1. Madison totally has a grocery store on campus now. Below Lucky.

    P.S. Crazy Iberians!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D

    Though they don't have a ciggaret in their hands, you can see the pack of Lucky Strike and the ashtray laying around the table, it was close!

    ***

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura!
    I am a student at the University of South Carolina and I plan on studying at the Instituto Benjamin Franklin next Fall. I was googling the program and found your blog, and I was wondering if I could maybe ask you some questions about the program so I can know some inside information on what I should expect when I get there? It would be so helpful to actually talk to someone who has done it before!
    Thanks,
    Mary Tilden

    ReplyDelete