Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Alcalá Week 7

My roommate Sandra trying a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for the first time ever! Her conclusion? "Weird, but good"

This week was midterms so nothing too exciting happening... these bullet points are just going to be some random thoughts and stories
  • Every Wednesday I have my Criminology class through the Universidad de Alcalá. There are about 20 students in the class and I am the only non-Spaniard. This past week my teacher called on me (since she knows I am American) and asked me what I thought about Spain's long standing bull fighting tradition. Not wanting to get into a complicated conversation and worried about speaking aloud in Spanish/ offending someone, I just said "a mi no me gusta" (I don't like it). I'm hoping my professor got the hint and never calls on me to convey American opinions about different cultures again!
Stairs inside the Law School where I take my class
  • Our tv has not worked for the past 2 weeks but this weekend my roommate Sara's boyfriend brought us a new one! We now have 31 channels instead of only 7, which I am very excited about. I think listening to tv programs is one of the best ways to passively improve your Spanish. PS No one here cares about the Winter Olympics-- I didn't see ONE event
  • I just realized I haven't put up any photos of my "residencia" (dorm, but more like an apartment). Here are some:
My street- it looks like a prison but really they're not so bad

B.2-5, home sweet home
  • Interestingly, my life here is a lot like my life in Madison, only in Spanish. During the week I go to school in the morning, drink coffee/ walk around a bit/nap in the afternoon, do homework, then watch tv at night. I thought studying abroad was going to be one big whirlwind adventure but I actually I prefer it the way it is. I haven't even made many travel plans because I enjoy spending the weekends hanging out with my roommates. Living such a low key existence makes me feel more at home.
  • Finally, I cut my hair- I have bangs now! Pictures soon

No comments:

Post a Comment